04 December 2006

Take Action

Here's something that's easy to do:

Turn off electronic devices you’re not using
Simply turning off your television, DVD player, stereo, and computer when you’re not using them will save you thousands of pounds of carbon dioxide a year.

Unplug electronics from the wall when you’re not using them
Even when turned off, things like hairdryers, cell phone chargers and televisions use energy. In fact, the energy used to keep display clocks lit and memory chips working accounts for 5 percent of total domestic energy consumption and spews 18 million tons of carbon into the atmosphere every year!

I've started turning off all power strips when I'm not using the appliances attached to them. I'm going to buy a power strip for those hard-to-reach areas.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At December 10, 2006 1:43 AM, Blogger wheylona said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At December 10, 2006 1:48 AM, Blogger wheylona said...

Sorry, I done made a boo-boo before and so deleted

A good reminder--I must do the unplug /turn-off power strips thing as well. Fortunately I live with at least one like-minded green-y sort, and I'm sure any other resisters can be swayed.

I now have the habit of washing clothes with cold water and using zero softener, and I use as little detergent as needed to get the job done, though it's apparently easy to make your own natural detergent, so after the power stripification of the house, then next step is make my own laundry soap and find a place to drop off our organic trash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home